So, we've been working around the house, inside and out. What's new?
Dad and Mom were here last month and we tackled the play room ceiling. The goal was to take out the plaster ceiling, wood paneling and a lot of moldy, dirty, grody insulation. It was going to be dirty but it ended up dirtier than I expected. While Jason was in Wisconsin in September I took down the lower ceiling (of course there were two layers of ceiling!) and we decided to take down the upper one to get a fresh start.

The low ceiling (less than 8').
Follow that by a lot of discussion about leaving this room in tact.....
Follow that by a weekend of Beth demolishing the lower ceiling.
Follow that by Jason demolishing the walls.

Follow that by Beth and Jason re-framing the bedroom/playroom wall and putting new columns in the basement to hold up the sagging (dry rotted) beam. I sort of wish I had a before of this but when I looked at it in real life it made me queasy, so I am glad that the after picture is a reality. The frame walls are temporary and will be removed once we finish leveling the floor.

Oh heck! There's wood under that drywall. I knew this, but somehow Jason did not.

Ooooeeee! That's a good looking ceiling. Maybe this room could be vaulted.....No! It's nice enough with the tall ceiling!

Dirty worker bees

Dad, as a raccoon! What a great addition to the team. THANK YOU!
This week the roof got underway....and almost complete. The carpenters and the roofer will be back tomorrow to finish up!

Before: White trim, red gutters and downspouts, rotting wood, flaking paint, shingles falling on your head, water leaking in..... I'll admit it looks charming with all the plants in bloom.

Gutters down, thanks to Jason. New Hardie trim in place for fascia, soffit and frieze board.

Rear half of the main gable in place on day 1. Also on day 1 the first snow (sleet) of the fall. What troopers! They removed 3 layers of roof (wood shingle, asphalt shingle and slate) from this portion of the roof. Just this area on the back was 4 tons of material hauled away. The house took a great big sigh and shook its shoulders after day 1. What a load off. Now she's got all new plywood and a new asphalt shingle roof! This picture is from Saturday when they are working on the rest of the rear.

Day 2 - The main roof front and garage are completed.

Day 3 the entire rear was completed.

Look at our great big attic (future bedroom) with new plywood sheeting and no chimney.
Allie was here this weekend and we assembled her Christmas gift for Layla: a new Kitchen! It came a couple of weeks ago and we decided to put it together and let Allie present it to her. She loves it! Of course, she will get a lot of use out of it for many years to come.

Parts 1-47

The box of hardware.

Two women working, two hours later.

Layla cooking us all dinner!
1 comment:
I love this post! Thank you for sharing your house with us. It looks like so much work - I'm tired hearing about it!! But you two are so talented, and you're going to have the most beautiful house when it is all finished. And the kitchen - wow, Layla is a lucky girl to have such a loving auntie! Love you all!
Post a Comment