I had a sweet reminder just now. I was in the restroom and saw the Cars band-aid attached to my hip and it made me smile. Why, you might wonder, would I tell you a story that begins with a trip to the ladies room?
This morning as I was getting dressed Layla pointed to my hip and says, "Mama, what's this?" I tell her it's a freckle. In reality it's a small red mole/blood vessel thing-y. I got a handful of them while I was pregnant with Layla and they didn't go away. My doctor said only girl babies give you those! I know my Mom has a few too, so maybe that's true.
At any rate, I tell it's a freckle and she insists that it's an owie. She leads me to her bathroom to get me a band-aid. In her drawer is a little tupperware with her Curious George and Cars band-aids. She carefully applies the band-aid to my hip and is quite pleased that she has made me 'all better'.
It's these little things that make me feel like maybe I am doing a good job as a Mom.
Her teachers report that she cheers for her friends, and tells them she is "so proud" of them if they go on the potty. She hugs and kisses them and participates in their joys.
Part of my job is to raise a compassionate person that is empathetic toward others and cares enough to help or to cheer you on. On those counts, I think we are succeeding.
No comments:
Post a Comment