Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What a nice Birthday present

It's about time I caught up on all the wonderful things that have been gong on in July. Of course, it's been very busy and I haven't had time to tell you about it!

The last day of June, my birthday, was a crazy one. I had the open plan review for the single family home I designed in Lincoln Park. Chicago has a special way of making the permit process even more fun than you could have thought possible: When you submit plans they circulate through the building department to 9 different people: zoning, plumbing, hvac, etc., etc. Once you have received your comments and make revisions you are required to visit the City for an open plan review. You sit down with these fine folks and show them how you have addressed each and every comment. Fortunately, I only had four people to see which was a relief.

This was my first time gong through the process so to say that it was nerve-wracking would have been an understatement. On top of it, everyone in my (albeit tiny) office was on vacation. So, I had to run the business and job sites and also fret full time about my opr.

The most comments I received was from the plumbing review. Often, in my practice, towns require plumbing schematics. It's sort of a joke because architects are generally unschooled in such things and the plumbers are not going to use them anyway. This is especially true in residential construction. At any rate, I muddled through the revisions in preparation for the opr.

Of course, it turned out absolutely fine! The permit was approved and my first single family home is under construction. Of course, that gets me fretting too.....

The rest of the evening was a breeze: beers with Carrie on her gorgeous patio and dinner out with my family. A lovely celebration to top off a very exciting day!

No comments: