Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sleep

I spent some time talking with my mom about how to get Layla to sleep better at night. Well, not to sleep better, but to sleep in her crib (not on me). She detests being swaddled and when I put her down in her crib she startles and wakes herself up. Mom said something simple yet genius: swaddle her while she is asleep.

So I tried this. Now, it's not a full on burrito swaddle, but it works well enough. The blanket goes in the crib first and when she is asleep I set her on it and with one hand hold her arms down and the other quick swaddle her arms in. If she is not deeply enough asleep she wakes up and gives me a dirty look, so it is tricky timing.

As my 8th grade geometry teacher loved to say: WALLLAH! She has slept in her crib for 3-4 hours at a time. Then, last night FIVE hours. This is the most I have slept since I went into labor. I was worried when I woke up, like something had happened to her. Thankfully, she was safe in her crib crying for her food and working like mad to get her arms out (which she usually manages before I can even get in the room). Yeah! I hope this continues.