Friday, June 14, 2013

5 (13) Years



Today is our fifth wedding anniversary.  Jason, I am sure, would also like me to point out that we have actually been together for 13 years.  Our first kiss was on June 9, 2000.  I guess he thinks we should get more 'credit' than people who have been married for five years but only dated for 6 months?

I don't know, I've been told there is no big scoreboard on which all this information is tallied (much to my dismay).   I'm trying to make a concerted effort not to keep score in my life, not to compete, not to compare.  This is an every day challenge for me, but I think it's a step in my life that will make me feel happier and be a better person, a better role model for my children.

So, I want to take this moment to be thankful for these five years, and the eight before.  People on the outside of the institution of marriage view it in many ways: easy, blissful, torturous, choose your adjective.  Some people just want to be allowed to get married in the first place.  

Marriage is all those adjectives and more.  Some days it is blissful, other days it is hard work.  Some days I am so appreciative and appreciated, some days not so much. 

Our beautiful, amazing children add much to our lives and also spread us thin.  But, on days when I really need to be strong Jason is there to prop me up and I, him.  Our life is so imperfect and it would be boring if it wasn't.  It would be stale if there was no adventure, no dirt, and no tears.

I know my life could not be what it is without a number of people, but certainly not without my husband.   He is my partner in everything and I am so grateful for him.



No comments: