A new 'guest' in the shed!
We first spotted the raccoon (standing out on the roof) the night before Jayden's baptism. I think this fat raccoon was the reason for the quickly deteriorating state of the roof. Since we had babysitters in town we decided to go out for dinner and to a birthday party for some friends in the city. On the way we placed a call to a man we knew could help us with our guest: Jason's Dad.
The call went something like this:
J: Dad, we've got a raccoon, can you bring a bear claw trap tomorrow?
S: Well, you know those claw traps don't kill them, they just hurt them so then you have to shoot them. I can bring you a live trap; then when you catch him, you shoot him.
J: Dad! We live in the suburbs, we can't just shoot an animal in the backyard.
B: (This is on speaker so I get to chime in) We don't even own a gun!
S: Hmmmm. Well I'll bring you the live trap and you'll just have to relocate him.
J: Sure, no problem.
B: ????WTF????
So, here he is, getting ready for relocation. It took a week, but we finally lured him in with marshmallows. Once he was in the trap I felt bad for him, he looked so sad. It was already after 8 on Monday night when we checked on him, so Jason was not too excited about the relocation project at the end of the long weekend. We put the trap in a garbage can and then covered it in a tarp and put it in the back of the truck. Jason took him to the forest preserve (nearby but across the highway and a lagoon) and we hope he will not return.
The trap requires at least three hands to open and Steve got another call during the relocation effort. I wasn't there but I imagine it went something like this:
J: Dad, how the (insert expletive here) am I supposed to get this trap open?
S: Well, its easy you just stick your hand here and here and it opens.
J: Well, the damn thing is hissing and snapping at me.
S: I told you, you should've shot it first. It's a lot easier to open when the animal is dead.
We might have been a little quick on the trigger getting the raccoon out. I am pretty sure a skunk moved back in the very next day. The shed is now slated for demolition. We have more than enough crap in our yard and basement to warrant another dumpster. I just hope that the skunk finds a new home before then.....
We might have been a little quick on the trigger getting the raccoon out. I am pretty sure a skunk moved back in the very next day. The shed is now slated for demolition. We have more than enough crap in our yard and basement to warrant another dumpster. I just hope that the skunk finds a new home before then.....
Jason needed another project so he built some new raised garden beds.
Two of them.....time to get planting!
Can you tell Layla is starting to enjoy getting her picture taken?
Can you tell Layla is starting to enjoy getting her picture taken?
Gigantic bonfire with gigantic marshmallows. Layla and I attempted to buy regular marshmallows over the holiday weekend and the shelf was empty so we got the gigantic ones. However, on the way OUT of the store (on that wall across from the registers) there was another smores display. Another fine example of retail management. Why do they put stuff on the opposite side of the register?
Peonies!!!!
Lots of beautiful irises this spring too. We split and transplanted in August 2011 and had a poor showing last spring; the plants did well, but we didn't have very many blooms. I was very excited to see them flourishing, they are beautiful.
Just 'cause he's cute.



No comments:
Post a Comment