Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Channeling Grandma

I come from a line of great gardeners. My grandmother had a beautiful garden that I loved to walk in and explore. The only drawback was that you couldn't see it from the house. On her corner lot, the garden was hidden by the garage. I don't recall if my other Grandma gardened, but she did have raspberry bushes, and I definitely want to get some of those going.

My mom also gardened and, having learned from my Grandma, set up her garden to run the length of the yard so you could see it from almost any room. My favorites were the tigerlillies and bleeding hearts. I loved to help plant the marigolds each spring and occasionally help weed (probably not often enough).

So, this weekend I attempted to begin my own garden. The previous owners of our new home were clearly avid gardeners. There is a fenced in area at the back of the property (with a water line - yay!) and a small shed (to be known as Layla's playhouse in the future). As a side note, Jason was explaining to me his remodeling plan for the shed/playhouse this weekend.......we will NEVER run out of projects! There are many flower beds around the house that we are excited to see start blooming this past weekend.

Playhouse/Shed
Bonus: It already has the sagging roof. So "old world".

I am hoping to channel some of my Grandma and Mom's prowess for creating a beautiful garden and something edible as well. Since we don't live there, I figured brains before beauty and went for the vegetables.

Layla was a very enthusiastic helper and we planted tomatoes, squash, bell peppers, broccoli, cucumbers, potatoes, onions, asparagus and melons. We did a few of each, and will be excited to see what happens. Hopefully something will grow!

Garden Before


Making progress raking out the weeds and breaking up the soil. Some new soil is on top and Layla is shaking on the plant food.


Layla getting ready to plant the first veggie of the garden, a tomato plant.


The "finished" product. Will all those veggies, it was still only about 1/3 planted. Look at the cool spinning sprinkler (and hose) they left us!

Jason with his new lawnmower, cutting the grass for the first time!

No comments: