Saturday, July 17, 2010

On the Eve

Today we had Layla's Birthday party at home in Deerfield. It was a small gathering of family and friends and was sweet and fun. Layla loved her party and guests and, despite boycotting her afternoon nap, was an angel. She played with her friends and ate cake like a pro. After everyone left I was reminding Jason of the events of one year ago: Jason went out Friday evening to visit with Kevin. I asked him, uncharacteristically, to please not stay out late. Please come home early. 2 days from our due date and I was anxious being away from him. He seemed so as well.

I awoke at 3 a.m. alone in our bed, with serious contractions. Jason called and said that he was going to stay overnight at Kevin's. Good Idea! I was in labor for a couple of hours, thinking, "Thank goodness Jeff and Bridgette are so close, they can bring me to the hospital...". The contractions subsided at about 6 a.m. and I finally fell back asleep.

At 11 a.m. Jason called and said he was on his way home. I told him, "Good. We are having a baby today." He said, "NO! I am tired. I stayed out and partied too much." Then I said, "Come home, take a nap, and then we will go the hospital."

Turns out, we didn't go to the hospital until 1 a.m. that night but still, I was right. Our little girl was coming, and not waiting for anything. She is just as determined today as she was a year ago on the eve of her birth. Tough and hard-headed like both her parents. Our little angel.

No comments: