Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Path to Pullman

I had great plans for our Saturday: Layla and I were headed to the Pullman State Historic Site for the Annual Backyard Film and Music Fest. One of my friends, Chris Haskett, was playing with a band there and we planned to see the show and also soak in this wonderful site. I was feeling "supermom"-esque: lunches packed in the cooler, sunscreen on, extra clothes and toys ready for our day trip to the (very) south side. We were going to see live music, have a picnic, and enjoy the cultural heritage of our wonderful city. YAY Mommy!

This was expected to be about an hour drive, it's about 40 miles away, and I chose the tollway in order to avoid the inevitable city traffic. This was my first and worst decision of the day. We hit traffic just past O'Hare, about 25 minutes into our journey. The next 2.5 hours were spent trying to undo the initial mistake. Between this back-up and the next open exit were 10 miles of bumper to bumper traffic moving at (literally) 5 miles/hour. NO EXITS people. NO EXITS.

I have driven this stretch of road before and it is a long way with no exits, but I never wanted to get off in this industrial area of the Chicago suburbs. Plus, the I-290 ramps were completely closed, for construction (which is currently on hold, if you recall my signs from last week).

The lovely traffic sign halfway into this journey stated that there was water at Cermak and to expect delays...... TOO LATE! We had our lunch in the car. We sang songs, read books, and then started pulling out our hair. Clearly we missed the show and just wanted to turn around and get back home......eventually we did......right at the point of the water. You're darn right I stopped, gaped and took a couple pictures. 8 lane expressway closed down to one lane in each direction for lots and lots of standing water.



We finally made it home three hours after our initial departure. I was tired and defeated. Layla was cranky and restless (who can blame either of us). We decided to spend the rest of the afternoon at the pool!

New bikini bathing suit from the Coles:
The only time a chubby belly looks good with a bikini.

Just so you can see the ruffle-butt!


She finally braved the water sprays,
squealing and laughing the whole time!

1 comment:

B Haack said...

But the suit is SUPER CUTE!