Friday, October 2, 2009

Olympics

Sad news today that Chicago did not win the Olympic bid for 2016. I was rooting for it, I have always loved the Olympics, and it would be amazing to have it here. However, I thought Rio had the best shot. They have the terrific government support and the Olympics have never been in South America. It will be great for the U.S. viewers since the time zones are closely aligned.

I remember the 1984 Olympics (I was six) and how badly I wanted to be Mary Lou Retton. Of course, I turned out not to be a world class athlete, but that's a-okay and I have enjoyed playing and watching sports all my life. Layla will be 7 when the 2016 Olympics roll around and I hope that she is inspired by them too. Although at her height, maybe she could be in high jump or basketball, I don't think gymnastics is going to pan out for our family.

We visited Salt Lake City in 2002 and were able to see our friends Nick and Ann Pearson compete in speedskating. It was an awesome experience that I hope to have again, although I don't know if we'll know anyone competing next time. If all goes well Nick will be heading to Vancouver in a few months to do it again, we wish him well!

No comments: